Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Tuesday 26 October 2021

Oldham

Wood duck

I was in Oldham so I thought I'd wander down to Alexandra Park to have a look at the wood duck that turned up there last week.

It's probably an escape, it's always been a popular species in collections and proven vagrancy in the UK is minimal. Having said that, wild wood ducks have turned up in Iceland and the Azores so it could happen in the UK. And there's currently a snow goose in Merseyside and a ringed duck in Lancashire, and that female ring-necked duck lingered in a much smaller lake in Manchester's Alexandra Park earlier this year, so why not a wild wood duck here? But the likelihood of escape is so high it has to be default position until comprehensively proven otherwise. 

So it's not going on my year list.

But it's a bonny bird anyway.

Wood duck

Wood duck

Wood duck

Wood duck

Wood duck

Wood duck

Wood duck and mallards

And it's a very nice park, even if it is a traipse away from any bus stops.

Alexandra Park

Alexandra Park

Alexandra Park

No comments:

Post a Comment