Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Thursday 3 February 2022

Stretford surprise

Snowdrops

A day for catching up with a few household chores I've been putting off for a few days so I didn't take much advantage of its being a rather nice Spring day. The spadgers came in, saw that it was low rations again in the feeders and went out to spread the word. Which gave the coal tits free rein to linger, the cock spending half his time singing from the rowan tree. 

A graceful figure flitted across the garden and landed on the washhouse roof. It poked its head over the edge, looked around and puzzled me greatly. Then it turned round. A long tail and a flash of yellow and off it flew. I didn't have grey wagtail as a candidate for adding to my garden list and I was lucky to see it at all, which shows how much unpredictability and serendipity is involved in birdwatching.

  • Black-headed Gull 1 overhead
  • Blue Tit 2
  • Carrion Crow 1
  • Coal Tit 2
  • Collared Dove 2
  • Goldfinch 1
  • Great Tit 2
  • Grey Wagtail 1
  • House Sparrow 10
  • Jackdaw 1
  • Magpie 1
  • Rook 2
  • Starling 5
  • Woodpigeon 2

I had a look at last month's birdwatching stats. The year list at the end of the month stood at 119, my best ever January total. Like as not the additions to the year list will tail down this month, I'm not likely to carry on getting a new tick every time I take the binoculars for a walk though I shan't complain if it happens.


Additions to the year list in January


No comments:

Post a Comment