Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Sunday 11 September 2022

Mersey Valley

Heron, Broad Ees Dole

I had an errand to do in Wythenshawe so on the way back I decided to get off the tram at Sale Water Park and walk home.

Sale Water Park 

As I walked down Rifle Lane from the tram stop the trees were noisy with ring-necked parakeets and magpies. The feeders at the café were busy with great tits, a couple of blue tits and coal tits sidling in whenever the fat ball feeder was unoccupied. I considered lingering to see if a willow tit might turn up but it started raining and wisdom suggested I keep moving (I've been too wet too often this week).

There was a lot of activity on the lake, canoeists jostling for space with lunatic jet-ski enthusiasts. All the mallards congregated round the lake margins, the Canada geese on the car park and the mute swans on the carp fishermen's jetties. A dozen black-headed gulls kept trying to settle into a raft for a doze but kept being disturbed by the jet-skis. There were rather more black-headed gulls and a few lesser black-backs on the lighting stanchions along the motorway.

Broad Ees Dole 

Broad Ees Dole was very dry despite this week's rain. The pool by the hide was scarce more than a puddle, which didn't stop half a dozen gadwall and a couple of teal dabbling in it. A dozen mallards loafed with a couple of herons while coots, moorhens and magpies fossicked about in the mud. For once the Teal Pool lived up to its label with a dozen teal on there with a couple of pairs of mallard and a heron.

Teal, Broad Ees Dole

It was late teatime when I started walking through Stretford Ees and the ring-necked parakeets were coming in to roost. A mixed tit flock — more great tits and blue tits than long-tailed tits — bounced from the trees by the path over the tram lines and into the trees by Kickety Brook.

It was raining properly by the time I got to Hawthorn Lane so I decided to head into Stretford for the bus home rather than carry on across Stretford Meadows. Sunday bus timetables being as they are I walked home anyway. Mind you, I needed the exercise.

Heron, Broad Ees Dole


No comments:

Post a Comment