Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Saturday 26 November 2022

Elton Reservoir

Drake goldeneye and juvenile long-tailed duck

I had an early morning appointment and once that was done and dusted I decided to get out for a walk before the threatened break in the weather broke. There were no trains today and engineering works on the city centre tramlines so I got a bus into town and a bus into Bury and went for a wander around Elton Reservoir.

The feeders in the car park were very busy with fifty-odd goldfinches and a couple of dozen greenfinches. A couple of great tits snuck in as best could but the blue tits, house sparrows and chaffinches couldn't get a look in.

Elton Reservoir and the sailing club 

The reservoir was more than filled, a great contrast to my last visit. Dozens of mallards, coots and black-headed gulls loafed on the water by the sailing club. There were a lot more great crested grebes out on the water than last time but only a couple of cormorants.

Great black-back and herring gull
I often forget that great black-backs are huge, even compared to herring gulls.

Herring gulls and great black-backs

Further out there were rafts of herring gulls and more black-headed gulls with a few lesser black-backs and common gulls. I scanned the bewildering array of herring gulls to see if anything else was about, with no success. There were a couple of big, dark males that might have been argentatus birds from Scandinavia but the light was so miserable it wasn't possible to be sure. A few great black-backs sat like battleships amongst the herring gulls and provided an easily identifiable change from the masses.

A small mixed tit flock flitted through the bushes at the top of the creek near the bridge. A few goldfinches and chaffinches twittered about in the treetops. The path got increasingly treacherous and I found myself concentrating more on my footholds than the flittings about in the undergrowth.

Walking along the creek

There were rafts of tufted ducks beyond the creek and a small flock of goldeneyes, mostly drakes. There was a lot of head bobbing going on amongst the tufties. A juvenile long-tailed duck bobbed up amongst the goldeneyes. It doesn't matter how often I see them, I'm always surprised by how small long-tailed ducks are. It was dwarfed by the goldeneyes and even the tufties, despite the textbooks' saying they're the same length.

Drake goldeneye and juvenile long-tailed duck

Black-headed gulls, tufted ducks and juvenile long-tailed duck

Tufted ducks

Drake goldeneyes and juvenile long-tailed duck

Drake goldeneyes and juvenile long-tailed duck

Tufted ducks

Nearly a hundred Canada geese crowded at the far end of the reservoir with a few mallards and teal.

Canada geese 

I wandered over to Withins Reservoir which was just as full but only boasted three tufted ducks and a cormorant.

I didn't like the look of either the path or the weather so I didn't carry on to the canal, taking the path to St. Andrew's Road instead, which gave me the opportunity to wash the mud off my boots in the deep puddles. I got the bus back to Bury and didn't get rained on until I was waiting for my bus home at Piccadilly Gardens.

Elton Reservoir 


No comments:

Post a Comment