Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Saturday 18 February 2023

New Brighton

Redshanks

Today was a reminder why most of my weekend birdwatching is kept local and nearly always away from popular spots: I find crowds exhausting these days. Oxford Road was bedlam, busy made worse by the new crowd control measures (it's taken me a week to realise that the problem is that passengers are being directed from open areas to congested areas rather than the other way round; I'm getting slow, in the old days that would have taken me ten minutes). The train to Liverpool was packed and, despite its being a grey and blustery day, the sea front at New Brighton was busy, too. Still, I got some exercise and a bit of birdwatching done rather despite myself.

New Brighton beach

I got off the train at Wallasey Grove Road and walked down to the lifeguard station, the idea being to have a look to see if the snow bunting was still where I saw it last month in the dunes by the Derby Pools. It's an odd thing but once snow buntings find a cushy billet for the Winter they'll hang around for weeks or even months. Given how busy this stretch was with both unruly yapping dogs and unruly yapping kids* I didn't hold up much hopes so it was a pleasant surprise to see the bunting flitting in and out of cover between waves of noisy passersby. It's a bit of a relief to see a skittish snow bunting, they often strike me as being wilfully unwary.

Carrion crow, preening after a bath

The beach was busy with walkers and dogs so there were only a few oystercatchers and crows and rather a lot of gulls about. The gulls were evenly divided between black-headed and herring gulls with handfuls of lesser black-backs and common gulls and a couple of great black-backs. I looked in vain for redshanks. A small, dark shape moving in the seaweeds at the bottom of the sea wall turned out to be my first purple sandpiper of the year.

Redshanks

I got to the marine lake and found out where all the redshanks were: the beach was so busy they'd all gone to roost on the pontoons in the company of another, rather fidgety, purple sandpiper.

Redshanks and purple sandpiper

I called it a day then. Filtering out the crowd scenes had tired me out far more than the walk had and I didn't fancy moving on to try and fit an hour's birdwatching in elsewhere. I'd got both today's target birds and kept the year list ticking over so it was a fair result for the day.

New Brighton beach



* I did wonder whether or not to delete that as being a bit curmudgeonly but it has to be said: some dogs, and some children, shouldn't be let loose in the public realm without leads and muzzles. I blame the owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment