Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Thursday 27 July 2023

Pottering about

Peregrine, Trafford Park

It was one of those unpleasant muggy July days that feel sweaty with a heavy sky providing both gloom and glare. I felt the effects of yesterday's drenching and was tempted to stay in and listen to the Test Match but decided that I needed to get a bit of exercise in, just to show willing.

Lostock Park 

I wandered over to Lostock Park to see what was about. The answer was: not a lot of birds. A couple of song thrushes were having a singing contest in the trees, wrens and dunnocks grumbled in the undergrowth and goldfinches twittered between treetops. I was watching a young robin in an elderberry bush by the path when a blue tit and a juvenile blackcap flew in, came over to see what I was and flew back out again. Which pretty much sums up suburban birdwatching this time of year.

I got the 250 to the Trafford Centre and had a walk up Trafford Way. (I could have walked it but it's a miserable walk even when the weather isn't grubby.) I had two goals in mind: a quick look at the "Beyond" building which is a favoured perch for peregrines after Trafford Centre pigeons and a nosy at the gulls loafing on the vacant lot where the private clinic used to be. I've seen a crowd of black-headed gulls there whenever I've been past and any crowd of gulls is worth checking out.

First sighting: Peregrine, Trafford Park 

A peregrine was perched on Beyond right enough today. It's not often I see one in passing but if I walk out to the building more often than not I'll see one. This was a dark, young-looking bird, not one of this year's but definitely not an adult. The pigeons and woodpigeons flew about with gay abandon, if they can see a peregrine sitting down they know they're reasonably safe.

Black-headed gulls, Trafford Park 

There were a hundred and forty-three black-headed gulls on the puddle-strewn tarmac. A few of the adults still had brown heads but most were well into their non-breeding plumage. There were a few lesser black-backs, mostly panda-eyed juveniles. Two adult herring gulls perched on lampposts and a huge brute of a juvenile herring gull lurked on the periphery of the black-headed gulls.

Black-headed gulls, Trafford Park 

On the way back home I had a look at the vacant lot that used to be Event City. Thirty-five lesser black-backs loafed on the wet concrete with three herring gulls. So that's two more sites for me to be baffled by gulls this Winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment