Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Thursday 12 October 2023

Stretford

Stretford Meadows 

It was a lovely Autumn day so of course I was otherwise engaged and couldn't go for a long walk. Consolation was that as I was walking home with my dad we watched a buzzard soaring low overhead.

I drifted into a late afternoon stroll across Stretford Meadows. Robins sang in the trees as I negotiated the mudbath onto the meadows. The paths across were almost uniformly wet and muddy so a bit of concentration was required to make sure I didn't go sliding and come a cropper.

Stretford Meadows 

There were a few dozen woodpigeons settling down before roost and nearly as many magpies. Carrion crows, jackdaws and a pair of parakeets flew overhead and a buzzard soared over the motorway. It's not often I see any of the pheasants I keep hearing here, today I accidentally startled a hen pheasant that quickly clattered into the cover of a patch of willowherbs.

I walked through the wooded margins between the cricket pitch and the exit to Urmston Lane hoping to bump into a mixed tit flock. There were more woodpigeons and magpies, a jay screeched from an oak tree and I found a pair of long-tailed tits in a hawthorn bush and a great tit fifty yards down in a holly bush. These things don't always go to plan.

Stretford Meadows 

It was getting on and I didn't fancy mudlarking in twilight so after an hour's pottering about I called it quits and moseyed off home. It wasn't the most productive walk across the meadows but by no means was it the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment