Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Tuesday 30 July 2024

Mersey Valley

Cob Kiln Lane 

Another warm, though very cloudy, day proved to be typically Julyish. To say the small birds of Cob Kiln Wood were keeping a low profile would be to understate. A blackbird sang, a chiffchaff squeaked, there were the furtive chirrups and twitters of house sparrows and goldfinches. A juvenile robin's call to its parents from deep in some hawthorn bushes was answered by a very curt reply from further down the hedgerow. It came as a relief to pass a field of horses and see woodpigeons, magpies and stock doves.

Cob Kiln Wood 

The woodland had been lively with speckled woods so it came as a surprise to find not many butterflies in the pylon clearing. For a while I had to make do with just the one red admiral that was flitting about the brambles. Which was better doing than the birdwatching. Eventually things picked up: a couple of lesser black-backs flew over, as did a few woodpigeons, if I looked hard enough I could just see a few swifts flying very high overhead, and half a dozen gatekeepers fluttered about in the nettles at the far end of the clearing.

Cob Kiln Wood 

Even the pigeons were missing from the bridge over the Mersey. I stood at the middle of the bridge and watched the banded demoiselles fluttering about the banksides for a minute or two before I crossed onto Banky Lane.

Banky Meadow 

A wren added to the afternoon tally by telling me to move along son and a moorhen called briefly from somewhere in the muddy willows. Even the speckled woods were getting few and far between. I'd gone a way down the path before I started hearing a buzzard in the trees. And a bit further before I heard the answering call. Eventually I found the first bird, an indistinct dark shape about halfway up a sycamore tree and keeping well into leaf cover. I was having as much luck with buzzards as owls this week. I've pretty much given up on the Merlin app again but I thought I'd try and restore my faith in it by having it confirm that the big noisy shape in the trees loudly calling to its parents was a buzzard. Merlin offered no suggestions although I thought of one or two. Good job we have enough buzzards round here to get to know what they sound like.

Banky Meadow 

I completed the circuit and headed off to Ashton on Mersey for the bus having added the ring-necked parakeet chunnering to itself high in an oak tree to the tally and having been closely eyeballed by a common darter in the car park. It's sort of nice to have things get back to normal for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment