Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Tuesday 13 August 2024

Rainy day

Juvenile great tit

I don't know what caused me to glance out of the window but I'm glad I did as the first mixed tit flock of Winter descended on the back garden in silence. I'm not used to large groups of blue tits and great tits keeping schtum, it's quite unnerving. In the end I counted five great tits and seven blue tits together with the four long-tailed tits bouncing about and the coal tit skulking in the ferns. Luckily I'd refilled the feeders over the weekend so they had an incentive to stay, which they did, all day. The eldest of the juvenile robins tagged along, almost indistinguishable from an adult now and surely due to be chased off if its parents are still about.

There was a lot of queueing up for a bath, too. They could have saved themselves the queueing, when the rain came it came down heavy. 

Juvenile blue tit still showing some yellow about the face

Long-tailed tit

The eldest of this year's robins, still with a few juvenile feathers on its wings.

Juvenile long-tailed tit

Long-tailed tit

Juvenile great tit


No comments:

Post a Comment