Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Tuesday 1 January 2019

2018 round-up

I'd set myself a target of seeing 200-ish species of birds in 2018. It turned out I reached 210 by mid-November and then stopped there (I missed a great grey shrike at Leighton Moss by 30 seconds and scan as I might the hundreds of teal at Martin Mere I couldn't magic one into being a green-winged teal). It was nice to add eleven to the life list and only involving just the three twitches (though it has to be said that the Timperley rose-coloured starling was not so much a twitch as a congregation of bewildered middle-aged men).
As part of the point was to get out and about and get some exercise I also aimed at averaging 100 species a month and managed 107, mostly by a combination of public transport and shanks' pony (a friend and I had a day out in July travelling round Furness and Lancashire for terns, owls and red grouse).. 
My birdwatching locations in 2018

There were some lovely birds along the way.
Avocets, Leighton Moss
Long-tailed tit, Stretford
Mandarin duck, Etherow Country Park
Pied wheatear, Meols
Redshanks, West Kirby
Wood sandpiper, Leighton Moss
Snow bunting, Crosby
Grey phalarope, Crosby
Great Egret, Leighton Moss
Red-throated diver, Dawlish Warren
Eiders, Dawlish Warren
Bullfinch, Pennington Flash
Glossy ibis, Marshside


A day off tomorrow, probably. I think I'll go on a wild goose chase on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment