Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Friday 10 May 2019

Seeing black

The original plan for today was to go over to Crosby to see if the black terns were still on Seaforth Nature Reserve. Then I noticed that a dozen were reported from Pennington Flash this morning. As this is £16.50 cheaper, the weather looked dodgy and the journey doesn't involve Northern trains I decided to go there instead. (There are excellent birdwatching reasons for visiting Crosby when the weather's not lousy.)

I arrived at lunchtime just in time for the heavens to open. The good thing about the hissing rain is that it persuaded the black terns not to fly off. I counted thirteen, another guy reckoned twenty and I gave up when the light got so bad I wasn't sure if I was watching swifts or swallows hawking over the flash.

Distant black terns in lousy light
As a consolation prize a nice common sandpiper landed and sheltered in front of the Horrocks Hide.


Common sandpiper
Later on in the afternoon the weather cleared up and lucky tea time visitors could see thirteen black terns in bright sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment