Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Thursday 23 May 2019

Mossland wander

Nice afternoon's walk through Chat Moss and Little Woolden Moss and thence through to Glazebury today.

First pleasant surprise was just ten minutes after crossing the motorway bridge from Irlam: a tree pipit flying into an oak tree by the path. Plenty of lapwings and yellowhammers along the way and hedgerows full of blackcaps and whitethroats. 


Chat Moss

Then my first visit to Little Woolden Moss, which is definitely a work in progress, with plenty of potential. 


Cotton grass, Little Woolden Moss

Walking away my eye was caught by something moving swiftly over one of the pools. It was a hobby catching damselflies. Cracking views but a beggar to try to photograph as it was quite close, fast moving and had a habit of flying into the sun. 


Hobby, Little Woolden Moss

I decided that rather than retracing my steps back through Chat Moss it would be easier to carry on down the path meeting Moss Lane and then on to Glazebury for a bus. I found a nice group of yellow wagtails when I turned the corner into a farm lane, which was reassuring.


Female yellow wagtail, Glazebury

No comments:

Post a Comment