Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Monday 18 November 2019

Pine Lake and Leighton Moss

Pine Lake
Lunchtime stroll round Pine Lake, just outside Carnforth, which turns out to be quite easy to get to by public transport. I was hoping for the ring-necked duck that was there yesterday, which would be a lifer for me. After half an hour's straining my eyes staring at a raft of tufted duck in the bright, low light (with a few scaup to add to the mix) I realised I'd overlooked it twice because it had been asleep with its head tucked behind it. When it woke up it steamed behind a group of tufted ducks and I lost the damned thing again. It took a while to pick it up again but I couldn't get a photo of it.

I'd got an Old Man's Ranger ticket so I decided to move on from Carnforth. I considered getting the train through to Carlisle for a lark as I last did it thirty years ago but on a whim, and not wanting to waste the good weather, I decided to have a couple of hours at Leighton Moss and spend a bit of time in the Causeway Hide.

Cetti's warbler
Good job I did. Cetti's warblers were very active on the causeway; it's not often I get to see a whole Cetti's, usually it's a fleeting glimpse of a head, wing or tail, today I got three. Two were so intent on fighting for their territory close to the hide that they didn't care that I was stood there. A lot of kerfuffle at the base of some reeds then two Cetti's warblers rolled out onto the path then carried the fight on in the reeds on the other side. A third was being very noisy by the grit feeders so I stopped to see if I could see it. Imagine my surprise when it jumped onto the wooden rail, sang at me then dived back into the reeds on the ground. I eventually got a photo of it and was feeling quite pleased with myself when I turned round to find a couple of bearded tits on the grit trays a couple of yards from me.

Bearded tit
A distant short-eared owl flying low over one of the cow fields was a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment