Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Monday 17 February 2020

Wild goose chase

All sorts of interesting geese had been reported from Crossens Outer Marsh over the weekend so I thought I'd go on a wild goose chase. 

The wind had died down a bit but it was still a *very* bracing walk. Pretty much everything except me had hunkered down for shelter, the only geese out in the open were a party of Canada geese and a few small groups of pink-footed geese well out in the distance, amongst which was a single Todd's Canada goose. This is the second one I've seen, or the same one twice as it was this time last year I saw my first, it was difficult to identify but definitely different to the "ordinary" Canada geese: the most obvious difference being that the black hood stretched right down to its back and overall it looked slighter. I couldn't get a record photo, the combination of distance and wind-blown camera shake reduced the bird to an indistinct blur in the picture. Had a bit more luck getting photos of these pink-footed geese in the long grass a bit further along Marine Drive. It always helps to have a road sign to steady against!

Pink-footed geese, Crossens Outer Marsh
Crossens Inner Marsh (and most of Marshside) was very waterlogged. No signs of the Bewick's swans from the other week but still large numbers of wigeon, teal and black-tailed godwits. These oystercatchers on the pool by Sandgrounders seem to be pairing up.

Oystercatchers, Marshside
Nice to see this kestrel perched on the viewing screen by Junction Pool.

Kestrel, Marshside

No comments:

Post a Comment