Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Sunday 6 March 2022

Home thoughts

Collared dove

I'd had a really lousy night's sleep so I decided to have a chill-out day at he today. All the bird feeders needed refilling again (I fill one each day, usually one of the sunflower feeders, then fill them all up every fourth day). It's sweet that the coal tits see me in the garden and immediately come to the feeders to wait for me to finish. Today I hadn't even finished when a goldcrest was in on the fat balls before flying over to one of the fat-filled pine cones. The pine cones are particularly favoured by goldcrests, they can get into the little fat-filled crevices long after starlings and spadgers have given up.

  • Blackbird 2
  • Blue Tit 3
  • Carrion Crow 1
  • Coal Tit 2
  • Collared Dove 2
  • Dunnock 3
  • Goldcrest 1
  • Goldfinch 2
  • Great Tit 2
  • House Sparrow 15
  • Jackdaw 2
  • Magpie 1
  • Robin 1
  • Rook 1
  • Starling 9
  • Woodpigeon 2

Back to normal numbers of black-headed gulls on the school field today though I know they weren't the recent regulars by the number of first-Winter birds in today's flock. The couple of common gulls with them were very noisy. The only large gull was a first-Winter herring gull. There were plenty of jackdaws and woodpigeons feeding on the field but rook numbers are down at the moment, I think most of them are feeding on the fields on the Mersey Valley at the moment.

  • Black-headed Gull 27
  • Carrion Crow 2
  • Common Gull 2
  • Greenfinch 1
  • Herring Gull 1
  • Jackdaw 31
  • Magpie 2
  • Rook 1
  • Woodpigeon 32

No comments:

Post a Comment