Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Wednesday 28 December 2022

Dee Estuary

Marsh harrier, Parkgate

Each time I've visited Parkgate I've seen the 22 bus go by to West Kirby or Chester and I've wondered if it might be an option to get there via Chester instead of Liverpool, the attraction being that it would be five pounds cheaper on the train, though Liverpool's a lot more convenient for me. So I gave it a go and it works really well, I'd definitely do it again.

The way the rail connections work if I'm going to Chester via the Mid-Cheshire line through Northwich it's best if I catch the train at Altrincham rather than Manchester Piccadilly. (I'd hoped the timetable changes might have made a difference, instead they've beggared the connection for the slightly faster North Wales train.) I left the cat to her birdwatching from the living room window (the spadgers were out in force and the woodpigeons and squirrels were striking provocative poses on the garden fence) and walked down to get the 245 to Altrincham in the pouring rain. The weather forecast promised more of the same locally but just light drizzle on the coast. 

The train was on time and rather busy but I nabbed a window seat when half the passengers got off at Knutsford and I watched a procession of fields with occasional carrion crows and woodpigeons, a few fields with small flocks of rooks or jackdaws or black-headed gulls, and a flock of more than a couple of hundred pink-footed geese in a field somewhere between Plemstall and Mickle Trafford.

At Chester I walked down the canal to the bus station, passing a pile of black-headed gulls, pigeons and mallards and a couple of moorhens. I didn't have long to wait for the 22 and I got a return to Parkgate. As we passed through Mollington, Woodbank and Two Mills the weather cleared up a lot so I decided to get off in Little Neston and joined the marsh at the Harp Inn.

Neston Marsh 

Neston Marsh was bleak, like any marsh in December. I'd arrived at lunchtime so there were plenty of people out walking their dogs and testing their wellingtons. Almost the first bird I saw in the middle distance, besides the hordes of black-headed gulls and carrion crows that were a feature of the afternoon, was a great white egret with its neck stretched out above the reeds as it kept an eye on a couple of frisky spaniels. I could hear redshanks, teal and curlews but had no luck finding them until a labrador went for a swim in a nearby pool. I'd been looking too far out for them. Further out, in the marsh proper, parties of wigeon flew in to join the ones already whistling in the small pools. The first of today's many marsh harriers floated in and spooked  flocks of a hundred or more each of lapwings and starlings and set a small flock of linnets flying inland to settle in the hawthorns by the path. I looked in vain for any short-eared owls, it was gloomy enough for them to be out and about but there were too many dog walkers.

Little egret, Neston

I headed North on the footpath, all the while keeping an eye on the marsh. I hadn't gone far before I started to find grazing flocks of geese. Most of the big groups near by were Canada geese, though a couple of dozen pink-feet were the closest of the lot, just the other side of a thin bed of reeds. A few greylags flew in and disappeared into the long grass in the distance. Another marsh harrier appeared, spooking a couple of pintails and shovelers as well as a lot of teal. A cloud of lapwings included a few redshanks and half a dozen golden plovers. A third harrier floated by in the distance, shadowed the while by a raven. I had it marked down as another marsh harrier until it did a flying swivel over a pool of wigeons and I could see the pale brown belly and dark tail markings of a ring-tail hen harrier.

Neston Marsh 

Neston Marsh
From the same position, looking South down the footpath

The path along the margins of the reedbeds was interesting. The old doors placed over some of the trickier patches aren't as effective as they used to be and the wobbly bits of the boardwalk are pretty much seesaws these days. There are notices either end explaining that the anticlockwise footpath into Neston is suspended until further notice due to the state it's in. Given how dodgy the recommended clockwise path's in I was almost tempted to go and have a look. As I got onto Manorial Road the wind got up and started giving the trees a good shaking. I looked at the black cloud being propelled across the Dee and thought to myself: "Aye, lad, you're in for it now!" Then it miraculously became sunny.

Parkgate 

I had a sit down when I got to the parade at Parkgate and had a scan round. At one point I counted ten marsh harriers, an embarrassment of riches. If the waders, ducks and starlings weren't being spooked by marsh harriers they were being made very nervous by great black-backs. A large, pale bird rose from the reeds halfway out. Another hen harrier, I wondered. A bittern, actually, and a very nice surprise too. There were plenty of little egrets and great white egrets dotted across the marsh, as well as many hundreds more pink-feet, teals and wigeon. 

Marsh harrier, Parkgate

Marsh harrier, Parkgate

Marsh harriers, Parkgate

Marsh harrier, Parkgate

As I walked past the Ship Inn a small flock of snipe were flushed by yet another marsh harrier. There were so many carrion crows about I almost missed the pair of ravens cronking at each other over the marsh grass. There were crowds of teal and lapwings in the pools near the parade, a pair of shelduck feeding in the nearest pool with a bunch of mallards and a couple of pintails. A male kestrel that had been hovering over the marsh's edge had a rush of blood to its head and it had a go at grabbing a teal. He missed his lunge and found himself having to negotiate his way through a panicked crowd of teal and lapwings as they rose as one and madly circled the pool.

Lapwings, Parkgate

Great white egret, Parkgate

I was running out of steam by the time I got to The Boathouse. I noticed the next 22 bus back to Chester was due in quarter of an hour. It's an hourly service, I debated carrying on a while and getting the next bus but to be honest I didn't have another hour and a quarter's birdwatching left in me, especially given there was only twenty-five minutes' sunlight left. I'd had a very good walk and some excellent birds, there was no need to spoil it by being greedy. I got the bus to Chester, strolled over to the station and struck lucky with the train back to Manchester. It's nice when it works that way.

Parkgate 

No comments:

Post a Comment