Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Wednesday 1 March 2023

Lazy day

Collared doves 

I was more tired than I thought yesterday: I settled down to watch the football and even before they'd started the boring pre-match blather I'd dozed off. I woke up at 4:00am filled with indignation because some fool was playing tinkly music. It turned out to be ITV's contribution to wellness and I have to say that if you feel in need of wellness and encounter that at four in the morning you have my every sympathy. Needless to say, starting the day feeling tired, dehydrated and aching all over wasn't compatible with any of the plans for today. 

I'll have to do a major bird food shop, the gannets have worked through the supplies like a trainload of locusts. It took them less than an hour to work their way through a bag of dried mealworms this morning. I'm not seeing much of the coal tits lately, and then only at daybreak. Most of the blue tits are keeping a low profile, too, while the pair of great tits are still joining the spadgers for lunchtime feeding time. I had thought the collared doves were nesting but they're back to coming in to feed together so I suspect they're still at the building stage.

Spring has sprung on the school playing field: the rooks are busy elsewhere with just one or two making a brief appearance some mornings, the jackdaws and magpies are coming in mob handed and the woodpigeons are starting to drift back in in numbers. We're back in the low twenties of black-headed gulls and adult lesser black-backs are drifting in and out all day but it's still cool enough for handfuls of common gulls and herring gulls most days.


No comments:

Post a Comment