Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Saturday 4 March 2023

One of them days

For reasons that escape me the back garden was full of blackbirds this morning. Most of the regulars didn't come in until after I'd refilled all the feeders (I did a big shop on the way home yesterday). The single male collared dove sings in the rowan tree for hours, when he's not getting a clattering from the resident pair that are nesting in the conifer two doors down. I suspect that most of the small birds are busy nest building, spadgers aside they're all coming in one at a time and tending not to linger.

The firecrest at Dukinfield Park has been reported again a couple of times so I bobbed over to have another go at it. The train times being as they were I had to get the Hadfield train as far as Flowery Field (which isn't, honestly) and get the 330 bus up to the park. I walked down to Hyde North for the train back. In between I spent an hour walking slowly round the park trying to ignore squirrels with "Please give generously" notices and saying hello to an assortment of friendly dogs. While it's nice to see a flock of a dozen greenfinches in a suburban park these days I'd quite like to have seen the firecrest. Still, I'd had some exercise and looked at a lot of trees so the afternoon wasn't wasted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment