Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Wednesday 21 June 2023

Urban birding: Oldham

Canada geese 

I decided on a lazy day today, opting to spend the morning reading then getting a train into town and heading for Oldham for a walk round Alexandra Park, which is a splendid survivor of the days of the great municipal parks. It's just outside the town centre and not on any bus routes but it's a short walk from Ashton Road which is well-served by buses between Oldham and Ashton-under-Lyne and Piccadilly, or you can do what I did and have a ten minutes' walk down from the town centre.

Alexandra Park 

I decided to give myself a rest and leave the big camera at home so of course goldcrests, bullfinches and pied wagtails struck picturesque poses they'd never think of doing if a big lens was pointed their way. There were families of coots, mallards and moorhens and one coot was sitting on a nest. Nearly all the songscape was blackbirds and song thrushes with backing vocals from wrens and goldfinches.

A female coot showing the inevitable consequences of drink

I had a nice potter about, found just the one heron (I haven't heard anything about how well or not the heronry fared this year) and toddled back home. A nice lazy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment