Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Monday 13 May 2024

Local patch

On the way back from Pennington Flash I just missed the 25 home so I got the 250 and got home via Lostock Park and the relict cornfield. I thought I'd see if any of the whitethroats had arrived yet, assuming they're coming at all.

The good news is that I found one doing its flight call from the brambles by the fence before the rain started to take itself seriously. 

A bonus was the buzzard being mobbed by a carrion crow and four lesser black-backs. It's a regular target for the crows, the gulls joining in so persistently suggests that they have, as I suspected, got nests on the roofs of the industrial units. Elsewhere a pair of carrion crows were busy with their display flying and croaky canoodlings. We don't give enough credit to the romantic souls of crows.

  • Blackbird 3, 2 singing
  • Buzzard 1
  • Carrion crow 3
  • Chaffinch 1 singing
  • Chiffchaff 1 singing
  • Goldfinch 11, 2 singing
  • Greenfinch 1
  • House sparrow 3
  • Lesser black-back 5
  • Long-tailed tit 1
  • Magpie 3
  • Mistle thrush 2
  • Robin 1 singing
  • Song thrush 1 singing
  • Whitethroat 1 singing
  • Woodpigeon 8
  • Wren 1 singing

No comments:

Post a Comment