Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Monday 15 July 2019

Chat Moss

Roadside meadow: poppies, chamomiles and cornflowers, Chat Moss

Afternoon stroll across Chat Moss from Irlam and thence on to Glazebury. Each time it started to get too warm a cloud conveniently passed over and let the breeze do its work. 

All a bit July quiet birdwatching-wise but both reed buntings and yellowhammers were singing. The hedgerows were full of finches and warblers very quietly and unobtrusively about their business and frustratingly difficult to pin down. A male lesser whitethroat flying out of a maple bush and alighting momentarily on a fence post was a nice surprise. And, sadly, all the swallows seemed to have flown. 

On the plus side I heard my first quail singing. On the minus side I may as well have been watching an episode of Michael Bentine's Potty Time for all I saw of the bird. So I'll just have to settle for ten seconds' worth of "Wet my lips" coming from a corner of a field of ripe barley.

No comments:

Post a Comment