Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Tuesday 16 July 2019

Leighton Moss

I was cursing today because I was having to stay in to wait for the TV repairman and my news feed was full of pictures of the pectoral sandpiper that's at Leighton Moss. An hour before the appointed time ("Any time between one o'clock and six o'clock") I thought I'd turn the box on ready so they could see the problem and lo and behold! some time since half ten last night the problem had been sorted. Appointment cancelled and I decided to go for a walk, the plan being to go and knacker myself traipsing round Etherow Country Park to see if all that ancient oak woodland might hold a wood warbler. 

Then I realised that it would be quicker to get the train that was due in fifteen minutes and go to Leighton Moss to see if the sandpiper was still there. So I did. And it was.


Pectoral sandpiper (lower right) and redshanks, Allen Pool at Leighton Moss
Pectoral sandpiper (lower right) and redshanks, Allen Pool at Leighton Moss
Pectoral sandpiper, Allen Pool at Leighton Moss
Amongst the supporting cast from the Eric Morecambe Hide were a trio of sleeping spoonbills, an adult and two juveniles (nearly all my sightings of spoonbills have been of untidy flock mattresses on stilts), and twenty-three little egrets.

Spoonbills, Eric Morecambe Hide at Leighton Moss
Spoonbills, Eric Morecambe Hide at Leighton Moss
Spoonbills, Eric Morecambe Hide at Leighton Moss
Spoonbill, Eric Morecambe Hide at Leighton Moss
Spoonbill, Eric Morecambe Hide at Leighton Moss
Little egrets, Eric Morecambe Hide at Leighton Moss
This common sandpiper decided on comfort over aesthetic effect.

Common sandpiper, Eric Morecambe Hide at Leighton Moss
And Summer is over as far as some waders are concerned.

Knots, dunlins and black-tailed godwits, Allen Pool at Leighton Moss
The walk down to the coastal hides from Silverdale Station was eventful by the purest of dumb luck. I'd stepped onto the verge of the road to wait while three cars made a complete Horlicks of passing each other on a narrow bridge when I happened to look up.

Osprey, Leighton Moss
Not the best picture I'll ever take in a panic but the best I've got of an osprey.

I'd spent yesterday trying and failing to get pictures of flying sand martins and swallows. On the way back from the hides I found I could manage a few photos so long as they were sitting down.

Sand martin, Leighton Moss
Swallow, Leighton Moss



No comments:

Post a Comment