Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Saturday 28 September 2019

Local patch

The calm between the storms, Barton Clough
Afternoon stroll around my local patch in between rain storms. Everything seemed quiet at first but a couple of jays put paid to that. The Winter flocks of magpies are starting to build up, nineteen birds all told today. A couple of dozen woodpigeons were scattered about.

Jay, Lostock Park
Jay, Lostock Park
Jay, Lostock Park
Jay, Lostock Park
A couple of chiffchaffs joined the small mixed tit flock that worked its way through the bushes by the old railway line. Good to see a couple of blackbirds, they've been a bit thin on the ground here just lately. Four mistle thrushes flew over but didn't land. 

Just as I was getting a bit worried about this Autumn's goldfinch numbers twenty-three of them flew in and landed in the top of one of the alders. Still down on last year but not bad.

A kestrel came in and hovered over the school, spooking a flock of pigeons and a third jay. Then I scuttled off back home while my luck was holding with the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment