Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Thursday 20 August 2020

Mosses

Painted lady, Little Woolden Moss
I'd planned a longer walk than usual across the mosses, setting off from Irlam across Irlam Moss and down Chat Moss to Little Woolden Moss and beyond.

I wandered down Cutnook Lane from Irlam. The hedgerows were pretty quiet but there were a couple of dozen swallows hawking low over the turf fields. A family of long-tailed tits flitted about the hedges by the fishery, joined by a flock of house sparrows and a chiffchaff.

There have been reports of spotted flycatchers in the trees at the junction with Twelve Yards Road so I spent a while checking them out with no success bar a couple of chiffchaffs, a wren and a robin. A buzzard soared overhead, harassed by a couple of carrion crows.

Twelve Yards Road was very quiet birdwise, nearly everything except woodpigeons was keeping its head down out of the wind. A few dragonflies — a couple of brown hawkers, some black darters and a single common hawker — patrolled the field margins. About halfway down to Four Ends another flock of swallows flew overhead.

About this point I met an elephant hawk moth caterpillar. I made sure it crossed the road safely before moving on

Elephant hawk moth caterpillar
Approaching Four Ends I noticed some more woodpigeons in the field. A few flew off and two turned out to be stock doves. I was watching them on their way when my eye was caught by two more birds flying around the far field edge. Dark wings and white rump, a couple of green sandpipers doing a good job of looking like house martins.

The Eastern end of Woolden Moss was quiet, too, with just a few willow warblers calling in the trees and a pair of pied wagtails chasing each other on the pools. There were a lot of black darters with a few Southern hawkers and a couple of common darters. I was busy being bitten by horseflies while I was checking out the dragonflies.

I carried on down the path. A moorhen with a couple of youngsters were fussing about on the pool by the site of the old hide.

A work team was doing some work with a digger a bit further along. I passed them and carried on towards the boundary path on the Western side.

Juvenile ruff (above) and juvenile wood sandpiper, Little Woolden Moss
I could see some more pied wagtails and a little ringed plover flew a short way before disappearing behind a bank. I turned into the boundary path and after a few yards I noticed a juvenile wood sandpiper working its way along the base of of the bunds.

I was watching the juvenile wood sandpiper I'd just found when a juvenile ruff joined us. In this unexpected context it took me ages to realise what it was. Ten yards to the right there were also a couple of juvenile little ringed plovers. Quite a difference to the tally on the Eastern side!

Juvenile ruff, Little Woolden Moss

Juvenile wood sandpiper, Little Woolden Moss
Then, as a change from the usual I walked down to the far side of Little Woolden Moss, through Great Woolden and through Cadishead Moss for a bus home from Irlam. (The intention was to walk through Great Woolden and get the train home from Glazebrook but I took the wrong turn once I'd negotiated my way through a farmyard).

Pied wagtail, Cadishead Moss
I'd crossed the motorway bridge onto Cadishead Moss and saw a commotion over one of the farmyards. A mixed flock of house martins and swallows were chasing off a sparrowhawk. It came back five minutes later and they chased them off again.

The fields were full of pied wagtails and linnets, moving up like a cloud when a tractor drove by.

I took a wrong turning and headed off towards New Moss Lane. Beyond the houses I stopped and had a look round one of the fallow fields, a field like that full of docks and rough grass must surely hold a stonechat or two, or perhaps even a passing whinchat. No such luck. Instead, a juvenile Merlin launched itself out of a tree and floated across the field before flying quickly over someone's back garden.

I carried on down New Moss Lane and past New Moss Wood and into Cadishead for the bus home.

No comments:

Post a Comment