Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Thursday 10 September 2020

Blackleach Country Park

Mute swan
I was feeling a bit low energy today so shelved the planned long walk around the mosses. I'll probably do that this weekend. I decided I still needed a short walk so I took the bus over to Blackleach Country Park in Walkden. It's been ages since I last visited, it's at its best in late Spring and early Summer but you never know your luck anywhere this time of year. Walking up from the bus stop I stopped to watch a magpie chasing a sparrowhawk across the road, which was a good start.

Black-headed gulls
The most obvious birds on the reservoir were the black-headed gulls and coots. The gulls congregated on the nesting rafts to loaf while the coots were scattered all about. There were a couple of dozen mallard about, together with a similar number of Canada geese and a pair of gadwall. I could only find the one tufted duck, I should have expected more. Just the one great crested grebe, too. I was watching a family party of mute swans — a pair and seven full grown cygnets — when I heard an odd croaking noise. I looked around, half assuming it was coming from one of the coots when I glanced up and saw two ravens, an adult and a very noisy juvenile, fly over. I'd been so busy trying to work out what the noise was and where it was coming from I missed the chance of getting a photo.

Further along, by the wooden jetty which is a few weeks shy of being condemned as unsafe, there was a kerfuffle as a couple of moorhens objected to a couple of brown rats swimming by.

I took the the path through the woodland that takes you to the M61. Rather than going over the bridge to Kearsley I followed the path round to the North side of the reservoir. The first stretch was very quiet, just a few wrens and robins, and it was only when I got to the motorway I bumped into the first mixed tit flock. It was a challenge picking up the birds' contact calls over the traffic noise but I found a couple of great tits, ha blue tit and a chiffchaff. While I was looking round a buzzard slowly floated overhead and off towards the more open ground to the East.

Further along, where the path ran beside the work on a new housing development, I picked up a second flock. This was quite a bit bigger: half a dozen blue tits, a few great tits and chaffinches and another chiffchaff. A couple of swallows gave alarm calls so I scanned the sky for birds of prey, found none and concluded they were objecting to me. A juvenile bullfinch was hard work to find as it wistfully squeaked in the depths of a hawthorn (at first I was sure it was machine noises from the building site). A short, deep churr in a hedgerow might have been a willow tit or possibly yet another in the repertoire of great tit noises, it was brief and just the once and the bird was in deep cover so I couldn't confirm it one way or another.


Just as was leaving I bumped into the first and only dragonfly of the day, a common hawker, as it patrolled the woodland margin by the reservoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment