Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Friday 4 September 2020

Jynx-ed


Blackbird in the rowan tree
I've been wondering when anything other than me would be harvesting the berries from the rowan tree in the back garden. This morning when I got up I noticed that a pair of woodpigeons were making a start on the berries at the top of the tree. This seems to have finally triggered the blackbirds into action and at least two have now set up shop in the middle branches.

Seeing as how the wryneck's still around at Horwich I thought I'd have a second crack at it. I had places to be at teatime so it would need to be a hit and run. The train into Manchester was late and would miss the connection to Bolton, leaving me with a forty minute wait so I thought I may as well get over there by bus, changing at the Trafford Centre: I'd get to Bolton about the same time as the train and I'd only have a short walk from one bay in the bus station to another for the 125 bus to Horwich. The journey went as planned, just a couple of minutes wait at the Trafford Centre and a chance to say hello to the resident one-legged pied wagtail, the 125 was waiting for us as the bus arrived at Bolton. On the way  into Bolton I saw a report that the wryneck was seen in the pines just up the path from the little coffee shop so I was feeling fairly optimistic.

I managed to get off the bus at a different wrong stop this time, which was OK as it was only a ten minute walk to Georges Lane, five minutes of which was having a good look at the little quarry pool next to the main road — a few mallard, a couple of moorhens and half a dozen Muscovy ducks, with a few swallows hawking over field behind it. Just before I turned into Georges Lane a kestrel flew past, chased by three house martins. It seems daft but I imagine being bothered by a trio that noisy and agile would soon become intolerable.

Quarry pool, Chorley Old Road
It was a lot cooler and cloudier than the other day and the wind was considerably stronger and had a real edge to it. Given that I was happy to accept a lift from a birder who asked for directions to where the bird was being seen.

Walking up from the car park a chiffchaff called from one of the bushes by the path and a pair of kestrels windhovered over the moor. A couple of birders coming down the path, including an unexpected old work colleague, confirmed the bird was around and they'd seen it so there was still cause for optimism as we joined the little group by the fence at the bottom of the pine plantation.

An hour later I apologised to my benefactor for putting the mockers on his visit. I stayed another three quarters of an hour (hit and run visit!) before giving up. (It was reported as having reappeared half an hour later.) Having seen how easy it was for a couple of magpies and a pheasant (and three sheep) to disappear into the tall sedges by the dry stone wall it was unsurprising that the wryneck was a bit elusive. All not lost, though, it was nice to watch a male stonechat feeding three youngsters (including the one I saw on Tuesday with its little white downy epaulette) on the dry stone wall down by the stream.

Not seeing a wryneck
The weather turned and we had a spot of rain so I bought a cup of tea and drank it on the way back down by the lane. One of the young stonechats bobbed up and down on the fence across the field and four ravens flew overhead towards Winter Hill.

I should feel enormously disappointed at not having seen the wryneck, especially after two goes at it. It would have been lovely to see it but I've had two nice walks in bosky scenery so I'm not going to be bitter about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment