Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Tuesday 20 October 2020

Bar humbug

Bolton and Bury Canal, Radcliffe

It was rankling with me that I still haven't got bar-tailed godwit on the year list and that the long-standing individual at Elton Reservoir has evaded me. So I toddled off to have another try. Long story cut short: "It was showing well up to ten minutes ago then an idiot shouting into his mobile 'phone scared it into hiding." I gave it twenty minutes to reappear and gave up. I've an errand to run near there later this month so I'll have another go then.

A bright sunny day and quite warm until the clouds rolled in. Needless to say, after a bright morning it started raining when I got to the station. A small flock of fieldfares over Trafford Park Station was another hint of Winter. 

Nay matter, it was bright enough when I got off the tram at Radcliffe. I wandered down the canal and waved and exchanged "How you doings" with a friend I bumped into. The sheep in the fields on the other side of the canal were accompanied by Canada geese and black-headed gulls. Blackbirds were busy in the hawthorn hedge by the towpath and a family of house sparrows chattered noisily in the bushes by the Withins Lane bridge. A few yards ahead a dozen remarkably quiet redwings flew overhead in the direction of Bury town centre.

Goosanders, River Irwell

A quick nosy at the River Irwell was rewarded by a heron and a trio of goosanders.

A pair of kestrels hovered over the field approaching Elton Reservoir. About a hundred black-headed gulls and a couple of dozen lesser black-backs were on the reservoir and I was glad to see a dozen great crested grebes about. I scanned the rafts of coots and tufted ducks for anything out of the ordinary and saw lots of coots and tufted ducks.

I had a look at the flooded field the godwit has been reported as being on. Lots of jackdaws and black-headed gulls with the horses (and for the first time ever not a single pied wagtail), no godwit. I noticed a couple of birders on the bank of the reservoir who looked to be staking out the field. I asked them if they'd had any joy with the bird. Ah well. I thanked them and wished them luck.

There's always the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment