Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Monday 19 October 2020

Johnny Brown's shrike

Brown shrike, Johnny Brown's Common

I thought I'd have an adventure before we go into a new lockdown so I went over to South Kirkby to see if the weekend's brown shrike was still about.

It's a nice trip out to the nearest station, Moorthorpe. The National Rail web set recommends going via Leeds but I find that if I go via Sheffield it's five minutes slower but just over a pound cheaper and instead of trying to navigate Leeds Station I get a trip through the Peak District.

I got to Moorthorpe Station and made my first mistake: instead of relying on my memory of earlier visits I followed Google Maps' directions which led me to a footpath that only exists if you climb over somebody's garage. (Google Maps is very good on public transport directions but hit-and-miss on pedestrian travel.) My second direction was to follow some birders down an apparent shortcut along a path through a field of potatoes. Unfortunately it didn't lead into the field further along, it ran very close to the bushes the bird was frequenting. So I turned back and went the long way round, which was no hardship.

Looking at the shrike

It was a very good-natured twitch, a couple of dozen people trying to keep a social distance while helping newcomers find the bird. Which turned out to be easy once you knew to look by the big hawthorn bush on the field margin.

I watched it for half an hour. A lovely bird but a bugger to try to photograph in a very fussy backdrop from a hundred yards away! (That's my excuse for a lot of inartistic record shots.)

There'd been a suggestion earlier on that the bird was a red-tailed rather than a brown shrike. I'm unfamiliar with both these birds — either would be a lifer — so I took notes in the hopes of being able to clinch the ID from references at home.

  • Definitely a shrike
  • Brown above, wings darker, russet wash to crown, no white patches on wing
  • Bright dove-grey underparts, contrasting white throat, warm salmon flanks
  • Black mask, pale supercilium
  • Bill dark, big
  • Rump and tail coverts paler, redder than back and mantle
  • Tail brown, only slightly darker than rump, some of the tail feathers looked slightly bleached at the base
  • In the field the tail had a tawny cast to it, in photographs it looks redder
I'm no expert and entirely open to correction but I think the whole dark wings, the high contrast between throat and breast, and the lack of contrast between tail and rump seem to confirm brown shrike.

Brown shrike

Brown shrike

I had a wander round the common to see what else was about. There had been a lot of black-headed gulls flying high overhead, fifty of them were on the pond with a dozen coots, a family of mute swans and a single first-Winter common gull. I walked under the railway bridges towards South Kirkby Green. The duck pond held a couple of dozen mallard and a handful of shovelers dozed by the margins.

A nice trip out and an interesting puzzle of a bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment