Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Friday 30 October 2020

Third time unlucky

Mute swan cygnets and mallard by the Bolton and Bury Canal

I was running an errand that way so I thought I'd bob over to Elton Reservoir to see if the third time would be the charm and I'd get to see the bar-tailed godwit that's been hanging round these past weeks.

Anyway…

I decided to get the Trafford Centre tram home rather than the Altrincham tram. I thought I'd see what there was in the way of gulls and waterfowl on Salford Quays. Roughly a hundred gulls, mostly black-headed with a couple of dozen lesser black-backs and a few herring gulls; ten mute swans and a handful of coots and mallards.

The tram stopped at lights in Trafford Park Village. "There's something odd about that pied wagtail on that roof," I thought to myself. There was nothing odd about it except that it was a female or first Winter black redstart. I've seen reports of them round here over the years but it's the first time I've seen one.

No comments:

Post a Comment