Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Thursday 29 April 2021

Cackling

Richardson's cackling goose (left) and Canada goose

I decided on a short walk today. I had been thinking about going over to Southport on a wild goose chase but I'd seen reports of a Richardson's cackling goose on Lowercroft Reservoir in Bury so I got a tram and a bus over to Lowercroft Road and walked down. 

I hadn't got far when I got into conversation about little egrets with a lady and her very bouncy collie. As we were talking my first three swifts of the year flew over.

I passed through the gate into a field of cows by the reservoir and had a scan round. Lots of Canada geese about but nothing unusual. Mind you, I wasn't sure what I was looking for, it's not a species I've seen before, not even in bird collections. Every goose that looked like it might be smaller than the others I looked at twice. Then I looked in the field next to me.

A Richardson's cackling goose is not a scaled-down Canada goose, it's more like a lesser white-fronted goose in Canada goose colours. It was feeding in a field with a couple of Canada geese and the difference between them was an eye-opener.

Richard's cackling goose (left) and Canada goose

Richard's cackling goose

Richard's cackling goose (centre) and Canada geese

Richard's cackling goose (front) and Canada goose

A lifer for me. I "only" need to see red-breasted goose and lesser white-fronted goose in the wild for the full set from the British List.

No comments:

Post a Comment