Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Sunday 20 June 2021

Mersey Valley

Whitethroat, Barlow Tip

I was woken by the garden warbler singing a couple of hours earlier than usual. It's a strange thing but when I hear the blackcap singing in my garden I have an internal dialogue that goes: "There's the blackcap. Are you sure that's the blackcap? Yes, I think so. It might be the garden warbler. Of course it's the blackcap." And yet when I hear the garden warbler actually sing I recognise it immediately, it's significantly different to anything else out there.

As it was a dull Sunday afternoon I thought I'd chance going for a stroll round Chorlton Water Park. It was a good call: it wasn't particularly busy with people. It wasn't particularly busy with birds, either. 

Barlow Tip

I spent longer than intended wandering around Barlow Tip. I was just going to pop in for a quick scan round but there was a lot of warbler action going on with chiffchaffs, whitethroats and willow warblers outsinging the blackbirds and song thrushes for a change. Wrens and reed buntings provided backing vocals. There was also a lot of flitting about by small birds, most of which eventually turned out to be blue tits, blackcaps, dunnocks or robins. A couple of chaffinches were seen but not heard. At least two whitethroat families had hungry mouths to feed.

Whitethroat. Barlow Tip

I suspect I missed a lesser whitethroat along the way. While I may have confused myself silly with blackcaps and garden warblers I've completely lost my ear for lesser whitethroats. There was a possible which I can't confirm despite listening to recordings. Once I stop worrying about it I'll bump into loads of them.

By the time I'd emerged from Barlow Tip it had become a sunny afternoon so I scrubbed the plan to wander down to Sale Water Park to try and find willow tits and see if anything interesting had parked itself on Broad Ees Dole. Instead I walked along the river to Kenworthy Woods.

There had been quite a few common blue damselflies on Barlow Tip, the river embankment had lots of them, mostly males. You could scarce take a step without disturbing at least two or three. Nice to finally see them in numbers.

A grey wagtail and a couple of blackcaps gleaning from waterside clumps of hogweed were the only birds on the river.

Kenworthy Woods

Walking through Kenworthy Woods I bumped into a mixed tit flock: a family of blue tits and a family of long-tailed tits foraging in the trees by the main path. Half a dozen swifts flew overhead, they had been notable by their absence over the water courses. Leaving the main path the songscape was primarily chiffchaffs and wrens with support from a few blackbirds and a couple of song thrushes. The only jay of the day was ostentatiously ignoring a family of carrion crows.

By the time I'd walked through the woods I'd had a couple of hours' strolling about so I called it quits and got the bus from Yew Tree Road. It had felt like a quiet birdwatching session but I'd still got forty species on the list even with quite a few notable absentees.

No comments:

Post a Comment