Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Friday 4 June 2021

Local patch

Goldfinch, Barton Clough

Another lazy sunny day. 

I had things to do today (or things to make an elaborate effort at looking like I was doing) so I had an hour's wander round the local patch. It was another of those feel-quiet-but-isn't sort of days where the ears are doing more birding than the eyes. It looks like we're down to two whitethroat territories this year, ditto the chiffchaffs. Only one blackcap was singing but I was out at midday when they're generally at their quietest.

Goldenrod as far as the eye can see

The Law of Unintended Consequences has decreed that the result of somebody's having at the bramble patches last Winter will be just over an acre of goldenrod flowering this Summer. That'll be something for the goldfinches. With any luck it'll bring in a few linnets too, I haven't seen any here since the Trafford Centre was built. Around the margins there are great drifts of male ferns which are looking splendid at the moment.

Male ferns

It looks like the ring-necked parakeets are moving in at Lostock Park: a pair and a hanger-on were screeching round the poplars. I have mixed feelings about this, they're interesting birds and they'll attract attention but I don't fancy their completing the squirrel's orgies of destruction on my bird feeders when they come across the road.

Sunbathing dunnock, Barton Clough
  • Blackbird 7
  • Blackcap 1
  • Blue Tit 2
  • Carrion Crow 1
  • Chaffinch 1
  • Chiffchaff 2
  • Dunnock 2
  • Feral Pigeon 10
  • Goldfinch 4
  • Great Tit 2
  • Greenfinch 3
  • House Sparrow 6
  • Long-tailed Tit 1
  • Magpie 9
  • Mistle Thrush 1
  • Ring-necked Parakeet 3
  • Robin 1
  • Song Thrush 1
  • Whitethroat 2
  • Woodpigeon 4
  • Wren 4


No comments:

Post a Comment