Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Wednesday 28 July 2021

Home thoughts

Rainy day

I'm not averse to going out birdwatching in the rain, though this time of year it adds to the frustration of small bird watching by adding myriads of rain-battered bouncing leaves to the visual confusion. I do get windy about thunderstorms so I don't go out in them. Given the choice between any part of the natural landscape and me I reckon the lightning would pick on me every time. So for the second day running me and the cat are staring forlornly out of the window at the weather. Last week the excuse was that it was too hot and I was on my own. I need to get my act together and get out a bit more.

This is one of the occasions where you really feel the difference between relying on public transport and having a car. The simple difference in logistical costs is conspicuous (compare the petrol and parking costs of the five and a bit hour round trip driving from Manchester to Bempton Cliffs with the eight and a bit hours minimum and sixty-two pounds cheapest of doing it by rail). If I were running a car then yes of course I'd have gone to Bempton to try and see the albatross and Cemlyn for the elegant tern and I've had haunted Malltraeth for the Pacific golden plover, and any number of rarities over the years. So it's probably as well for the world's environment that I don't.

Less conspicuous is the difference between getting to a parked car at or near a site and getting to shelter if you're walking. Or getting to the nearest town if you're driving or walking. A rule of thumb is that five minutes' driving is one hour's walking.

Anyway…

The spadgers are back in force though I only had the briefest glimpse of the ghostly youngster. The coal tits are back from wherever they were nesting by the station, I haven't seen any youngsters. And a new young blackbird has turned up, attracted by the noise of the spadgers on the feeders.

  • Blackbird 2
  • Blue Tit 2
  • Coal Tit 1
  • Collared Dove 2
  • Goldfinch 2
  • Great Tit 1
  • House Sparrow 18
  • Jackdaw 2
  • Magpie 2
  • Woodpigeon 2


No comments:

Post a Comment