Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Monday 20 September 2021

Leighton Moss

Bearded tit

It was still a very foggy morning when I set off for Leighton Moss. Had I known it would turn into a bright Summer's day with a twitchable wader and a school party I might have made other plans. Just as well I didn't know: it was a nice day, the birdwatching was stress-free and productive and the kids were brilliant, much better behaved than most grown-ups.

As the train passed the coastal hides I was struck by how bone dry the pools were. The only water was on the pool by the Allen Hide, hosting a few black-headed gulls and a sleeping spoonbill doing an excellent impersonation of a mattress on a stick.

The school party was in the picnic area watching the birds on the feeders so I went straight to Lilian's Hide to see if the pectoral sandpiper that had been reported was still there.

The first things I noticed were the couple of hundred roosting black-tailed godwits and a couple of great white egrets. Every so often the egrets would get too close to each other and they'd indulge in a bit of aggressive display, pointing their beaks skywards and strutting about in an exaggerated manner.

Great white egret and black-tailed godwits

Life imitates art: teal and plastic decoy tern

Pectoral sandpiper (heavily cropped record shot)

A chap helpfully pointed out where to find the pectoral sandpiper. It was well away from everything else, the only bird on a stretch of mud in a little inlet, so it was dead easy to spot. Unfortunately, the strong backlighting and reflections from the mud made it a largely unidentifiable silhouette. I had a stroke of luck when it moved behind a small puddle and the reflected light lit up its underside, showing the sharp distinction between the brown breast and white abdomen. I looked away for a moment, came back and found I'd lost the bird. All that could be seen was a stone in the middle of the mud. After a couple of minutes the stone got up and started wandering around again.

Heron and black-tailed godwits

Great white egret and black-tailed godwits

There were plenty of teal loafing round the margins of the pool and a dozen gadwall lingered in the deep corner of the pool in the company of a few coots and a dabchick. And I noticed a couple of knots in amongst the godwits.

I'd been shown where to find the pectoral sandpiper so I paid the favour on by spending five minutes helping newcomers find it.

There were a couple of mixed tit flocks in the trees along the path into the reeds. Mostly blue tits and great tits with long-tailed tits and chiffchaffs along for the ride.

From the Tim Jackson Hide

The pools in front of the Tim Jackson Hide were lower than usual but plenty enough for a small flock of gadwall and half a dozen moorhens. And plenty enough for hordes of dragonflies, mostly unidentifiable in the strong light. A few brown hawkers were easy enough to get by their size and russet glint in the sunlight. As far as I could tell, most of the rest were common hawkers and common darters, with a couple of migratory hawkers making up the numbers.

As I walked down to the Griesdale Hide I came across a group of people taking photos by one of the grit trays. A male bearded tit was ignoring its audience and getting on with the business of topping up on grit. I was quite surprised, it was late lunchtime and my general experience is that you don't see them on the grit trays after 11:00am. A bonny looking bird.

Bearded tit

The pools at the Griesdale Hide were bone dry though a heron managed to find an eel passing along one of the little ditches by the reeds.

From the Griesdale Hide

Walking back I found a couple of willow warblers calling from willows in the reedbed and a juvenile chiffchaff assayed a bit of song from the trees at the corner of the reserve. There was another mixed tit flock, this one with more long-tailed tits, and a treecreeper rummaged around in the depths of the dry stone wall by the field. A buzzard soaring high on the thermals was joined by a noisy pair drifting over from the coastal marsh.

I had to tiptoe my way round sleeping mallards to get to the visitor centre and the exit.

It was early yet so I considered moving on to Hodbarrow. Then I checked the trains, there was a problem on the Barrow to Carlisle line that would make the journey a bit too interesting for comfort. So I headed for Ulverston, which gave me the chance to see what was about on the Kent and Leven estuaries then have a quarter of an hour to wait for the Manchester train.

The train was packed with a school party going to Grange over Sands so I didn't get a good look on the estuary at Arnside. The tide was ebbing but still high when we reached the Leven Estuary. Lots of black-headed gulls and lesser black-backs, a couple of eiders and a dozen mute swans loafed on the water and the train spooked a curlew that was feeding on the trackside.

I was looking inland on the way back, which gave me the chance to spot a couple of dozen little egrets roosting on the Leven and a similar number of redshanks roosting on the railway causeway approaching Arnside.

A pretty good day's birdwatching and two more additions to the year list.



No comments:

Post a Comment