Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Tuesday 28 September 2021

Home thoughts

I'm definitely feeling the change in the weather this week. And this morning I shelved today's plans for a birdwatching day out (none of which were very firm anyway). Which gives me a chance to watch the blue tits and spadgers on the feeders. And a passing cormorant overhead. 

The gulls coming into the school playing field for the lunchtime feeding frenzy included half a dozen lesser black-backs and a nice first-Winter yellow-legged gull. At first I thought it was a second-Winter herring gull but it had a big black beak and the nearly all-dark wings, quite a lot of streaking on the mantle and clean white rump and tail base and clear-cut black tail band clinched the ID. There's usually one passing through most Autumns. They never turn up at weekends when I can point binoculars and big camera lenses over there, luckily this one drifted over this way a bit while the gulls were waiting for the kids to go back in to classes.


No comments:

Post a Comment