Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Sunday 26 September 2021

Home thoughts

Chiffchaff

It's definitely early Autumn: I've just had some of the strawberries the squirrels missed and the first juvenile chiffchaff of the season tagged along with the silver team spadgers to have a forage in the roses.

It's starting to be easier to see the birds in the garden these days, partly because I've made a start pruning the rambling rose but mostly because the rowan tree has suddenly dropped its leaves. The pair of coal tits turned up almost as soon as I'd refilled the sunflower feeder, and disappeared just as quickly once I picked up my camera.

I think the very pale sparrow and the piebald woodpigeon are on the casualty list. Any birds that stand out from the crowd tend to be more vulnerable to predation. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, mind.

I'm wavering a bit in my plans for this week. I'm tempted by the long-staying white-tailed lapwing at Blacktoft Sands though the prospect of being stranded overnight if I miss the last bus of the afternoon doesn't fill me with confidence. I'll probably end up pottering about locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment