Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Wednesday 6 April 2022

Home thoughts

Woodpigeon

I decided against going out for a walk today, the weather was very dodgy and I'd gone back to sleep after giving the cat her breakfast, probably a result of getting in late yesterday. The small birds in the garden were pretty scarce: at the moment they're busy with other things and are just doing hit and run raids on the feeders and mostly keeping to the cover of the rose bushes while they're in. The coal tits have been very inconspicuous indeed this past week, I've not even bumped into them at the railway station. 

For reasons I've never understood, in this weather the woodpigeons like to spend the mornings moping in the trees on the railway embankment. I think one pair has had a go at nest-building in the conifer at the bottom of the garden, it'll be interesting to see if they actually use it.

I went out to fill the feeders by the rowan tree and was greeted by a noisy crowd of jackdaws. This is very unusual, they usually stick to the treetops, the fields or the chimney pots. The reason why they were fussing round became apparent when the female sparrowhawk flew in just over my head and perched in the top of the damson tree. She watched me watching her for a couple of minutes then flew off to cause trouble over on the allotments.

  • Blackbird 2
  • Collared Dove 2
  • House Sparrow 6
  • Jackdaw 8
  • Rook 1
  • Sparrowhawk 1
  • Starling 2
  • Woodpigeon 6

No comments:

Post a Comment