Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Tuesday 4 October 2022

Home thoughts

The weather being as it is I decided against going for a walk today. The Met Office says it's going to clear up tomorrow so depending on my energy levels I'll either go for a walk round Pennington Flash or get the buses over to the Ribble Estuary for a goose chase. The train strike days bring a welcome degree of certainty to travelling.

I'll have to remember which fat balls to get from Quality Save, the spadgers and titmice like these ones with the bits of seed and mealworms in them. They've demolished four of them within a couple of days while entirely ignoring a feeder full of actual mealworms and a full suet block feeder. It's been good to see the long-tailed tits bouncing in, it's been a while.

The school playing field had a morning invasion of herring gulls — a couple of dozen of them, half of them first Winter birds. No idea what brought them in in such big numbers, the weather's not been that wet and windy. Five lesser black-backs was more typical but there were only sixteen black-headed gulls. Common gull numbers have been very low since the Summer heatwave, over the past couple of months they're appearing less than once a fortnight. I wish I could spot a pattern in these shifts and numbers but if there is one it entirely eludes me. 

The day ended with eighty-nine black-headed gulls dancing for worms in the rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment