Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Saturday 29 October 2022

Home thoughts

The last day of British Summer Time was appropriately grim and gloomy even when it wasn't raining. I put a block on any of the possible walks I had planned for the day, let the cat back in from her latrine and went back to bed to catch up with the week's sleep.

Suitably refreshed I was surprised to see a male great spotted woodpecker in the back garden feeding on one of the fat-filled pine cones hanging from the rowan tree. I was going out to get more bird food anyway so I added pine cones to the shopping list. They're also favoured by coal tits and goldcrests and don't get disintegrated by the attentions of spadgers and starlings so they're a good investment.

A mistle thrush rattling from the top of the magpies' pear tree across the road was another harbinger of Winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment