Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Thursday 22 February 2024

A child plays with a new toy

Dunnock

The weather matched my mood and I was all for going out for a walk in it. It was probably as well that my dad needed some help with something so more sensible counsels prevailed.

A couple of house sparrows were in the garden at the same time at one point which was a high for the week. The great tits, blue tits and coal tits were in and out and the dunnocks were a-dunnocking.

I've been using the time to have a play with the camera to try and get a few things sorted that have been niggling me. The transition from SLR to DSLR was painless, the only difference was whether you needed to load a film or a memory card. The transition from DSLR to a bridge camera has been more difficult because they work differently, for one thing the use of the bridge camera is an entirely automated experience. One thing I'm getting used to is that it's a slower process, most of the time there's no manual fine-tuning and I have to wait for the camera to respond. I've changed the autofocus settings to spot focus rather than the default random guesses the camera offers. And I finally got my head around the manual focus settings by trial and error testing to find out which of the instructions to ignore (which turned out to be everything except "switch the focus setting to Manual" and "turn the focus wheel"). Basically, I'm having to unlearn forty-odd years of habit and not being my usual patient self about it. I'll get the hang of it in the end.

One of those herring gulls that look darker than it really is in the gloom then turns out to be a herring gull when it takes flight.

Great tit

No comments:

Post a Comment