Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Tuesday 20 February 2024

Confessions of a fair-weather birdwatcher

It started off as a bright, sunny morning and the Met Office promised a day of fitful sunshine until teatime when the precursors of the overnight deluge would start creeping in. It occurred to me that I should get a walk in while I may and I set off for this year's first walk round Amberswood.

It had been an odd morning with not a single house sparrow in the back garden or even at the station as I passed by. Over the road the gulls loafed on the playing field undisturbed until they moved in on the post morning break booty.

It's the hole in the road season so the 132 made slow progress at times. We'd been sitting by a red light in Tyldseley for six minutes when the rain started. As we passed Dangerous Corner the sky darkened and the bus' window wipers sped up. By the time we got to Hindley I decided even a very brief foray into Amberswood wasn't worth the candle and stayed on the bus into Wigan and got the train home, the trackside trees littered with despondent woodpigeons.

No comments:

Post a Comment