Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Tuesday 19 March 2024

Blackleach Country Park

I was still fretting about not getting to All The Places so I wandered over to the Trafford Centre where a buzzard was soaring with the lesser black-backs over the bus station and getting shouted at whenever it drifted too close. The next bus out was the 22 so I got on that and debated where to get off. In the end I got off at South Avenue in Kearsley and headed over the motorway towards Blackleach Country Park, the idea being to have a quick potter about and get the bus home.

I couldn't remember the tidy way through the industrial estate to the motorway bridge so had to follow Google's instructions for the muddy track. (The tidy way is to continue down to the bottom of Springfield Road, turn left onto Moss Road and just follow it round.) Goldfinches twittered, chiffchaffs sang and a robin flew by with a beakful of moss. Spring has sprung.

Blackleach Country Park

Magpie

Coal tits and great tits joined the wrens, robins and chiffchaffs singing in the woods of Blackleach Country Park. Woodpigeons clattered about in the treetops and a pair of magpies made a pig's ear out of breaking off twigs for their nest (probably as well as the twigs were supporting the nest.

The mute swans, Canada geese and mallards were taking advantage of Lets Go And Feed The Ducks On The Way Home From School, a few tufted ducks joined in but most of them were content to cruise around in small rafts of half a dozen or so birds. The gadwalls kept well away, I can't remember the last time I saw gadwalls coming to bird food. There were only half a dozen black-headed gulls about, none of them remotely interested in the breeding rafts yet.

Coots, black-headed gulls, mute swan and tufted ducks

A fit of the yawns persuaded me it was time to head off home. I'd touched base and reminded myself this is an easy spot to get to later in Spring when the terns start arriving.

No comments:

Post a Comment