Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Sunday 3 March 2024

Home thoughts

It was a bright, sunny if a bit cool Spring day. Unfortunately it was also a Sunday and so far as sunny Sundays and Bank Holidays go my sentiments accord with Baby Grumpling's.

Baby Grumpling at the playground. goodbye swings, goodby e roundabouts, farewell slides. any day now you'll be invaded by an uncouth rabble of strident strangers. elbowing aside the indigenous population such as myself. oh how i hate school holidays. /></a></td></tr><tr><td class=
Baby Grumpling laments
(Perishers strip, 1977, written by Maurice Dodd, drawn by Dennis Collins)

I thought I'd best have another hack back at the roses, boysenberries and the inevitable crop of brambles before I lost the garden to secondary forest for the year, and before I'd be disturbing any nests. Most of the birds registered their annoyance at my intrusion — after all, who's garden is it anyway? — but most of them also got on with raiding the bird feeders whenever it looked like my back was turned. My stuffing a compost bin with cuttings was serenaded by the oddly harmonious coupling of the songs of a collared dove, a coal tit and a robin. 

For all that there's plenty of cover in the garden it's not often I get any nesting going on, probably because there's too much activity at the feeders. There's plenty enough nesting space in the ivies and brambles on the railway embankment, the nest boxes in my garden are usually occupied by tree bumblebees.

  • Black-headed gull 1
  • Blackbird 2
  • Blue tit 2
  • Carrion crow 1
  • Coal tit 1
  • Collared dove 2
  • Dunnock 1
  • Goldfinch 1
  • Great tit 2
  • House sparrow 6
  • Jackdaw 3
  • Long-tailed tit 1
  • Magpie 4
  • Robin 1
  • Starling 6
  • Woodpigeon 3

No comments:

Post a Comment