Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Friday 15 March 2024

Buxton

Mandarin duck

It was another bleak sort of day with a keening wind and I didn't feel like doing much. My knee told me it didn't want to go for a walk but I still had the fidgets. In the end I wandered into Manchester and got the train to Buxton, thinking I could just have an hour or so's pottering about to get the wanderlust out of my system.

Between Piccadilly and Buxton the birdlife alternated between jackdaws and woodpigeons with a side-serving of magpies and carrion crows and a lot of lesser black-backs on the roof of the bus depot in Ardwick. The gloomy weather was prompting the jackdaws to gather into pre-roosting groups in trees and on rooftops.

Female tufted duck

Female mandarin duck

Arriving in Buxton a flock of fifty-odd jackdaws passed over the station and a dozen pigeons circled round. I had a wander round the Pavilion Gardens which looked as if they'd been blitzed by the Winter rains. There were dozens of Canada geese and mallards, a few coots, moorhens and tufted ducks and half a dozen mandarins, a few more than last time I visited. Robins, wrens and chaffinches sang in the trees and goldfinches twittered in one of the conifer trees.

Mandarin duck 

Pavilion Garden's 

A bit of a potter about to keep me out of mischief.

No comments:

Post a Comment