![]() |
| An unruly garden |
I've started feeding the birds again. I've had a look round the back garden and once you get past the boysenberries having another mad dash to conquer the universe it's pretty grim out there despite half of it being in the shade of the railway embankment sycamores half the day. The rowan tree is still awash with berries, which is very unusual by this stage of the game, so I had a close look and they're pretty mean fare. The blackbirds have shunned the tree and the magpies which have pretty much monopolised it have given up on eating the berries. I'm not altogether surprised, for the first time ever the woodpigeons and blackbirds left me a bumper crop of boysenberries to harvest and I couldn't thank them for it. There was a lot of soft fruit in the garden and very little of it very palatable. I've frozen small batches for adding a few at a time for adding to porridge, but I'm doing it for the anthocyanins in Winter rather than flavour. So I've started feeding the birds again a couple of months earlier than advised.
It took the great tits and blue tits twenty minutes to notice.

No comments:
Post a Comment