Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Saturday 22 June 2019

Midsummer mosslands

Plans A—C for the day went out of the window when, after a particularly atrocious night's sleep, I dozed off at quarter past seven and woke up at ten. I set to reading a book and listening to the cricket but got a bit fidgety and decided that as it was a nice day I'd ignore the Met Office's yellow alerts for thunderstorms and go for a walk across Chat Moss, through Four Lanes End and Little Woolden Moss and thence to Glazebury to get the first of three buses home.

Adult and juvenile swallow, Chat Moss
It's getting to that time of year when there's lots of bird life around but most of it has gone a bit quiet while they get on with the business of feeding chicks and getting through the post-breeding moult. A lot of young swallows and whitethroats about on Chat Moss.

Hovering kestrel, Chat Moss
The usual wayside poppies were accompanied by some wonderfully blousy Papaver somniferum varieties.

Paeony-flowered poppies (Papaver somniferum var.), Chat Moss
Papaver somniferum var., Chat Moss 

I'm still struggling to get to grips with Little Woolden Moss, I'm sure I'm missing a key part of the reserve as my sightings don't reflect anything like the ones I'm seeing people posting elsewhere. Close views of a curlew and a very distant little ringed plover were today's highlights.

Curlew, Little Woolden Moss
Nice to see my first painted lady of the year while I was here.

Painted lady butterfly, Little Woolden Moss

Walking through the farm towards Moss Lane and thence to Glazebury there were plenty of skylarks and yellow wagtails, which is sort of reassuring in this day and age.

Yellow wagtail, Moss Lane, Glazebury


At some stage in the near future I'll get round to putting together some maps and notes on how to get to these areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment