Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Sunday 29 March 2020

Soap opera

The crow in the nest can be seen here
Walking back home after checking up on my dad I noticed a kerfuffle up in the tree on the corner of the road. A pair of carrion crows have been nesting up there for a week, attracting the attentions of the magpies and jackdaws in the process. I assumed this was more of the same but I was wrong. It was another crow obviously intent on breaking up the happy home one way or another.

It's a strange thing but the crows, which are usually muscularly assertive, quite meekly accept the intrusions of the other birds so long as they stay a beak's length away from the nest. Possibly being old hands at the lark themselves they're careful not to be lured away from their nest by any diversionary tactics.

The two suitors

No comments:

Post a Comment