Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Saturday 4 April 2020

Signs and portents

I was counting the jackdaws on the school playing field opposite when I heard an unfamiliar "cronk." Looking up I saw a raven flying in from Trafford Park. It then wheeled and headed off back where it had come from. I shouted for it to wait a minute while I got my camera but it obviously didn't hear me. They're once in a blue moon birds round here so it was a nice surprise. They're fairly regular visitors to the local mosses but I think Wigan's the closest nesting location (I'd be happy to find out I was wrong).

Long-tailed tit
Things seem to be settling down in the garden with regular visits from pairs of long-tailed tits and goldfinches and the pair of great tits that took residence over Winter have reappeared. The coal tits and blue tits are still around but their appearances are more irregular than they have been, which suggests they may be busy elsewhere. I'm averaging about a dozen house sparrows coming in to feed. There are a few males coming in on their own away from the family parties, I'm not sure if they're a teenage lads' group or if they're supporting hungry nests.

I might be wrong about starling numbers as there's consistently been a couple of dozen of them feeding on the school playing field and at least four of them have been going back to possible nest sites. If I am wrong it might be an idea now to get the orders in for suet blocks to feed the youngsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment