Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Sunday 24 January 2021

Trafford Park

Tenax Circle, Trafford Park

I was feeling the effects of cabin fever, both mentally and physically, so decided on a Sunday afternoon walk. It was a dull, cold but dry afternoon so I decided to avoid all the local parks and green places and had a walk through the industrial estates of Trafford Park. I'd hoped to cap it with a nosy round Trafford Ecology Park but that's only open Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm.

There were no great surprises along the way: plenty of magpies, pigeons, carrion crows and woodpigeons, occasional blackbirds, robins and wrens. There was a constant stream of gulls overhead, equal numbers of black-headed gulls and herring gulls, a few common gulls and a smattering of lesser black-backs, most of which were first or second Winter birds. A lone great black-back flew overhead as I approached Trafford Park Road.

I moved on to Wharfside where the docks were thick with gulls: a hundred or more black-headed gulls, a raft of forty-odd herring gulls, a similar number of lesser black-backs and over towards the Ontario Basin a mixed crowd of gulls mostly hidden by a herd of mute swans. 

I was walking through Stretford town centre when I saw the first and only cormorant of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment