Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Thursday 18 February 2021

Spending time in nature consultation

I spent a bit of time filling in Greater Manchester Combined Authority's survey on "Spending time in nature" consultation form. I flagged up my concerns about the inadequacy of the green space in the urban environment, particularly when that space has to try to fulfil the needs of both the communities around them and the wildlife that live in them; the need for some areas of unmanaged natural space ("waste land"); and the danger of creating isolated pockets of "natural space." In particular:

  • Tackling climate change and preserving biodiversity depend on a multiple strategy approach: having isolated islands of "nature areas" isn't going to work. I'm concerned that so many mosaic environments on brownfield sites are considered fair game for development. I'm equally concerned that so much development doesn't provide a mosaic of the built and unbuilt environment so that communities have some green space (some managed, some left to nature — "waste" land is important for warblers and willow tits just as much butterflies and beetles) to allow for the mental well-being of the community as much as to act as "island hopping" links between "nature areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment